I have the hardest time writing in blogs, but I like the idea of writing in blogs, so here I go again, trying to start one 😊
It’s not an issue of procrastination so much of a fear of writing total crap. And I mean that in more than one way:
- I worry about being boring
- I worry about sounding self centered
- I worry about looking back in a year and being embarrassed by my horrible writing style, or by my naivety, or some other embarrassing aspect of my writing that I can’t even think of right now.
- I worry about giving away how horribly dumb I am 😬
- There are a lot of people writing these days and I can’t imagine that I can contribute much more than what is already being contributed by others.
So with all these reasons, why am I even trying? I don’t know. I feel a bit compelled to sometimes. I always want to write, but I tend to get paralyzed by all my fears. I saw a cool quote though the other day that inspired me a bit -
You may worry that you don’t know enough to write about a particular topic. I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to be an expert on a topic to write about it. Write what you know. - Shubheksha
That post is meant to encourage developers to write more, and I definitely need encouragement in that area… but development topics are not even everything I want to write about! I like to write about just… whatever. Me. Stuff. Dogs. I did a lot of traveling this year; it would be fun to write about that.
The voice in my head says, “people travel all the time, no one cares about your wide-eyed first-time-traveling stories ” but that’s pretty rude to talk to myself that way. Maybe people do care. And even if they don’t, what if I just want to write it down and remember?
So I’m going to try.